The mission of the Investigations Division is to identify, apprehend and prosecute violations of the criminal laws of the State of Utah and the United States through professional investigation of criminal complaints.
The Investigations Division may investigate the following:
- Complex white-collar and financial crimes
- Public corruption
- General fraud
- Child abuse and exploitation, which includes sex abuse, physical abuse, homicide and child pornography
- Cybercrime, internet fraud and identity theft
- Medicaid fraud and elderly abuse
- Difficult crimes associated with closed societies
- Criminal environmental complaints
- Antitrust complaints
- Significant street crime, including homicide, aggravated assault, and sex crimes where a local authority requests our involvement
This division provides investigative support to the prosecutors of the Criminal Enforcement Division on prosecution referrals. The Investigations Division also receives referrals from the Grand Jury Panel of Judges to conduct investigations to determine if sufficient cause exists to convene a state grand jury.
All investigators are POST certified state peace officers.